Graduate Selection Process
About the project:
Graduate Selection Process is the project that goes around the details of online recruitment. It is the project that is intended to make the recruitment process fair, faster and reliable.
The software to be designed deals with online recruitment of employees. Users can register their details and enter the recruitment process. Four tests will be conducted and allotted times varies with the type of test. The users must complete all the tests with in the allotted time. The answers are evaluated automatically and the results are stored in a database, which can be accessed as and when required. Users are short-listed based on their performance in the online tests conducted.
The objectives of the system are as follows:
1. To conduct online recruitment tests for testing the users knowledge. The test has to be timed with a limit on the number of questions for the test, which can be modified only by the administration authority. The questions for the test are automatically selected at random from the database.
2. The questions for the test have to be maintained in a separate table in the database.
3. Modification, deletion and addition of questions will only done by the administration.
4. The administration can add new Test modules if desired.
5. The results have to be computed and stored in a separate table in the database.
6. The time limit will be maintained strictly.
7. The results will be presented as and when required.
Problem Definition :
The present recruitment system is conducting exams manually for evaluation of performance and technical skills of the candidate. As and when a person checks in for giving the test a registration form containing all the required details are to be filled and sent to the personal department these details are to be entered in the respective department register.
The test papers are then prepared and distributed to each person. After conducting the test the concerned department corrects the papers manually and results are announced.
This entire system needs to be automated for better performance and reliability.
The present recruitment system is conducting exams manually for evaluation of performance, aptitude skills, English skills and technical skills and of the candidate. As and when a person checks in for giving the test a registration form containing all the required details are to be filled and sent to the personal department these details are to be entered in the respective department register.
This recruitment procedure consists of a six- step procedure. The six steps are
1) Aptitude Test
2) English Test
3) Technical Test
4) Psychometric analysis
5) Lecture and Group discussion
6) Final Technical and HR Interview.
The test papers are then prepared from a question bank by randomly selecting the questions. After conducting the test, the papers are evaluated manually and results are announced.
The task of existing system is maintaining information of the candidates registered for the examination, preparing the question papers, evaluating the answers and storing the results, which presently is accomplished in the manual way.
Limitations of the existing system
The existing system employs a lot of man-hours both for preparing the test papers, evaluating them and announcing the results.
This time consuming evaluation coupled by the huge manpower requirement may also lead to erroneous results. To maintain the personal details of the candidate in a file manually, which candidate fills the time of the test, may result in some loss of data and difficulty to store.
Question paper may be same for some students, which might results in malfunctioning. Apart from this manually conducting a test may take lot of manpower for conducting, evaluating and giving the results. If the candidates taking the test are more in number then lot of time consumes for evaluating manually. Once evaluation is over the responsibility of storing their details is also a tedious process.
The drawbacks in the existing system are as follows:
· More paper work
· Loss in Data
· Less Security
· Time Delay
· More Clerical Work
· Human Fatigue
· Fear of environment
· Chance for errors
· Delay of results
The proposed system will be developed on client/server architecture. The user can logon to the intranet and register or the administrator can register a new user.
On registration, each user is assigned a unique id and a password. The user can logon to the server with his Id and appear for the selection tests. The questions are selected at random from a question database. The tests are timed tests. After completion of the test, the papers are evaluated dynamically and the results are stored in a database. The system also generates a merit list of candidates at the end of the test or as when required.
The system also ensures that no candidate is permitted to reappear for the test within six months.
The objectives of the system are as follows:
1. The users have to register in order to appear for the graduate selection process.
2. Online tests are to be conducted for evaluating the users in order to recruit them. The tests are to be timed with a limit on the number of questions, which are automatically selected at random from the database.
3. The questions for the test are to be maintained in the database.
4. Only the administrator can access the question database.
5. The results are to be computed and stored in a separate table in the database.
6. The time limit will be maintained.
7. The results will be presented as and when needed.
Merits of the Proposed System
· Automate Selection Process
· Reduce Paper Work
· Immediate Accessing of Details
· High Security
· Providing Accurate Information
· Providing Overall Reliability
· Easy to use, effective and efficient
Operating System : Windows 2000
Internet Tools : Microsoft FrontPage Express
Browsers : Internet Explorer 5.0
Back End : Oracle8.1
Documentation : Ms Word 2000
Processor : P IV 1.7 GHz
Memory : 256 Mb RAM
Hard Disk Capacity : 40 GB
Floppy Disk Capacity : 1.44Mb
Display Card : SVGA